Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Challenged?

Hello everybody,
I don't quite know where this post is going, or my main point behind it, but I feel i just have to say something. This photo really spoke to me somehow.
A couple of quick questions. Do you recognise this face? Does this man mean anything to you? What do you see looking at this photo?

Chances are, you are thinking "Nope, I have never seen that fellow before in my life. Being anonymous, he doesn't really mean much to me. I see a young man, maybe, 25, 26, who is in some sort of service for the military of the U.S.A."

I'll tell you who this man is. This is Sergeant Andrew Farrar of Weymouth, Massachusetts. He served in the U.S. Marine Corp, and passed away serving his country in Iraq on January 28th 2005, his 31st birthday. He was nearing the end of his deployment in Iraq, and left behind his highschool sweetheart wife, Melissa, and his two sons.

That is all I know of this man. I first heard of him in a song called "Last Letter Home", a song written about him by a band called Dropkick Murphys. He was a huge fan of the band, and once wrote a letter home requesting that they play another of their songs, "Fields Of Athenry" at his funeral when he should pass away. His mother contacted the band and showed them the letter, and they performed his favourite song live at his funeral, and wrote "Last Letter Home" about him after reading a few more of the letters passed between the Sergeant and his family. For some reason, I google-wacked for a photo of Sgt Farrar, looking to find a face for this man.

When I found it, I almost cried. I don't know why. I looked at this young man, only 31 years old and felt sorrow. I have never and most likely will never meet anybody associated with him, but that photo is etched into my mind and heart. The youth, the handsome young man taken from the world, it just bites at my heart for reasons I am unsure of.

I am going to finish this post here, because I dont know where else to go with it. All I have left to say is God bless the Farrar family, God bless all servicemen and their families worldwide, and may your kingdom come Lord, and so put a stop to the dying.

Sean.

Sergeant Andrew K Farrar, US Marines Corp

Honour The Fallen

Fallen Heroes Memorial

Last Letter Home Lyrics

Field Of Athenry Lyrics

I have also taken the liberty to add a link to the blogspot of a serviceman currently in Iraq, sharing his views about what day to day life is like over there. I havent had the time to fully check it out, so if it's dodgy, i'll fix it up in the next day or two.

4 comments:

z said...

I know the feeling
Both my dad and my older brother vincent were serving in the army overseas.

my dad has been in the army for (25years) my brother just 3 because he was discharged with severe PTSD (Post trumatic stress disorder) basically means the he saw the most horrible of things, his friends dying around him killing people... i cant imagion what its like... i have PTSD as well but its from max, thats why me my dad and my older brother are insomniacs...

Anyway my prayers are with this young man and his family but also for my dad and brother at the same time...

harry
~constantly owned~

SuperTiph said...

What about you Harry? Do you remember to pray for you?

What do you say to a thread like this? I don't feel any overpowering emotions. I guess I just feel kind of humbled. It's just another reminder to spend today being thankful that I have today. Lately I've been stripping back parts of my life, to the parts that are important. I don't stress like I used to. Life is better when you don't stress about useless stuff like are my favourite jeans clean? Do I have to get everything done today? Will the world collapse if I take 10 minutes to take a break? It's kind of hard to explain, but the point is, I'm learning more about what matters and what doesn't. I'm doing what I can to uncomplicate my life. And as I'm doing that I'm learning to appreciate the life I am blessed with.

Sara said...

Good one ponyb...
its so weird how just something like a photo of someone you dont even know can make so much stuff go through your head! That happens to me heaps... i reckon its awesome though that it also affected the band in the smae way and they even wrote a song about it too! i salute them!

Frullet said...

Thing is sean i knew who it was the second i saw died on 28th january because of the song its so sad like an inoccent man just trying to sever his country died when he only had 3 weeks till he was going back to see his 2 and 6 year old childern its juz so NOT FAIR