Saturday, June 10, 2006

Three Years?!?!


Hello all,
This is an emergency update. Not because there is an emergency happening, but because this is one story you cannot afford to not laugh at. Here goes.

It was lunchtime today, and I was hungry. While I waited for the sandwich toaster to heat up, I looked for a quick snack to warm up my stomach. Now, being the seafood fan that I am, I found a can of smoked sardines. I had never eaten sardines before, but I am a huge fan of tuna, smoked mussels, smoked fish, smoked oysters etc, so I figured "sardines can't be too bad, can they?". So I cracked open the can, grabbed some crackers and put a sardine on one. I put it in my mouth.

It was the most revolting thing I have ever had the extreme misfortune to eat. Ever. I wanted to throw up my guts, then eat them again to get rid of the awful taste (but I didn't, don't worry). It was disgusting.

I was thinking to myself "how is it possible that they were so bad? NOTHING can taste that gross". Curious, and unsure of what to expect, I got the label off of the can and read it.
It said:
BEST BEFORE - AUGUST, 2003.

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!?!?!?!
2003?!?!?!?!
WHY WAS IT STILL IN OUR CUPBOARD?!?!?!?!?
WHY?!?!?!?!?
ALMOST THREE YEARS OUT OF DATE, AND I ATE ONE?!?!?!?!?!
WHAT IN THE NAME OF HAPPY-AS-LARRY WAS IT STILL DOING IN OUR PANTRY?!?!?!
WHY?!?!?!?!?
ALMOST THREE YEARS?!?!?!?

I think I have some sort of food poisoning, because I can still feel that one almost-out-of-date-by-three-whole-years sardine down in my stomach. I'm gonna be feeling that for a while...

THREE YEARS?!?!?!

ponyb.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! well done! that was awesome! we got to hear all about sean eating a really fudgy gross 3 years out of date SARDINE!! bwahahahah... well one thing i realsided about your blog is that almost every post seems to have something to do with foodstuffs. weird. Anyway sometimes we open the freezer and see this anciet looking food and then we read the use by date and if its out of date but still looks kinda ok, one of the guys will try it and if its not too bad tasting THEYLL EAT THE WHOLE THING!!! i think the byrne family is mmune to food opisoning by now...

ok i will go.

Anonymous said...

what is food opisoning anyway?

Lerchy said...

hahahahha we now laugh

z said...

Wow thats tasty!
man bec has some weird stuff in that bag of hers
Hey Pony member when she kindly looked after my 5$ in there?

well she gave it back l8a however it was loose so she kept pulling strange stuff outta her bag here are sum i remember

A black ball (i think it was a squash ball)

2 bobby pins (not unusual)

some girl name katarinas phone number that she gave me. ( i have no idea who that is, i lost it at VACC anyway)

That red car from that new movie CARS

and heaps of other stuff... Weird

z said...

aserej ja de j de jebe tu de jebere seibiunouva,
majavi an de bugui an de buididipi,
aserej ja de j de jebe tu de jebere seibiunouva,
majavi an de bugui an de buididipi

MUAHAHAHA GO KETCHUP SONG INVADE EVERYTHING!

Anonymous said...

u dont kno who kat is? katarina is kat... u kno...l kat with blonde hair that she dyed black in parts... that kat? im sure u kno her....

and sean, as i told u just before, i find ur story quite hillarious, i needed a nice hearty laugh, though perhaps at someone elses expense was not the best way... though still, we shall all remember now to check dates before consuming bizarre and new substances out of cans...

z said...

Yeah of course i know who Kat is im just not sure if that Ph numba was the same Kat, i thought it was maybe some school mate of becs or sumthing

Anonymous said...

but i sure dont know anyone else who is 'katarina' lol, so im assuming it is kat... but then again, there is always the saying that goes... 'when u assume u make an ass of u and me' (ass-u-me) *sigh* if u get that...

Anonymous said...

but i sure dont know anyone else who is 'katarina' lol, so im assuming it is kat... but then again, there is always the saying that goes... 'when u assume u make an ass of u and me' (ass-u-me) *sigh* if u get that...

Anonymous said...

aaahh... what?? double posting? how annoyingly RUDE.. stupid computer

Anonymous said...

and no, i am not talking to myself, i am talking to the computer

z said...

Yeah Huh?!

SuperTiph said...

"If you keep talking to yourself, people are gonna think you're crazy."

"Thanks for the free advice"

"I wasn't talking to you."

That's funnier if you actually go and see "Cars".

Sean@, despite your bad experience with a sardine, I do encourage you to try them again sometime, when you know they're still with in consumable date and the trauma of this fiasco has worn off. I rather enjoy sardines from time to time, so I would hate for you to miss out on the joy of this rare form of seafood.

Shadow said...

sardines are rare?! yuck.. no offence anyone, but i hate seafood; the only good type is the crumbed stuff you buy frozen in shops, of the crumbed stuff from fish n chip shops...

Shadow said...

oh yeah....

thats also hilarious sean@. then again, with the amount of preservatives they use now, those sardines should still have been perfectly FINE! ha...ha.ha.ha.

Shadow said...

hey, wouldyalookatdat! sean@ has 16 posts now!